The Holy Name Six have taken a beating in the Chicago media and need your support. Please sign the petition and take other action. Catholics contact your parish or diocese and ask them to support dropping the criminal charges against the Holy Name Six.
They are being charged with criminal defacement of church property and their bond is $35,000 for one member with a prior arrest for entering a military facility and $25,000 for each of the others.
Catholics please don't be silent on this issue.
Cardinal George and the Peacemakers
Pope John Paul called the invasion of Iraq immoral and UN Secretary General Kofi Annan said it was illegal. On February 15, 2003 a month before the invasion an estimated 30 million people in 800 cities in 60 countries demonstrated against President Bush’s upcoming war. He dismissed this unprecedented global mobilization by calling the protesters “focus groups”.
Five years later:
- The WMD claims and Iraqi ties to 9/11 and bin Laden exposed as lies
- Civil liberties shredded in the U.S.
- 4,000 dead U.S. soldiers
- 30,000 seriously wounded and the number mentally scarred probably in the hundreds of thousands
- Nobel Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz estimating the cost of the invasion and occupation being in excess of $3 trillion
- An estimated 1 million dead Iraqi civilians
- 4 million displaced from their homes
- Iraqi infrastructure destroyed
- Rampant sectarian violence in a country that had none before the war
- 70% unemployment in Iraq
So six brave young Catholics choose Easter Sunday Mass to dramatically bring these issues to the light of day before Cardinal George and the congregation by standing, speaking against the occupation and Cardinal George’s meeting with President Bush and then lying down in the aisle and discharging the fake blood on themselves. This was there intent. It seems that some of the stage blood got on ushers and parishioners seated nearby. Since their press release called for them to release the fake blood on themselves, I don’t believe there was any intent to squirt it on anyone else. I am sure that they will gladly pay for cleaning and replacement of any damaged clothing or furniture.
All Catholics should call the Cardinal and demand he drop all criminal charges. After all which side would Jesus be on? Would Jesus prefer decorum and appearance in the temple to bold action for peace?
NW Indiana Veterans For Peace